ST ANDREWS CHOIR
The Saint Andrew’s Choir is a mixed SATB group consisting of approximately 25 voices. The Choir sings at the 9.30am Sung Eucharist on three Sundays of the month, once per month at Choral Evensong at 7.00pm and at special parish services and occasions. Rehearsals are every Wednesdays from 7.30pm to 9.00pm.
Besides singing at parish services the Choir is invited annually to sing in the Cathedral and at other parishes. Occasionally the Choir sings away in another centre and such weekends are very enjoyable and fun for the singers. The Choir is heard frequently on “Hymns for Sunday Morning” and has been recorded for the TV programme “Praise Be”.
The repertoire of the Choir consists of music from plainsong, Anglican chant, 16th century through to especially commissioned works from contemporary composers. The Choir is a member of the Royal School of Church Music and takes part in festivals and services.
The Choir has made four recordings:
- Great Hymns for the Seasons of the Church: Volume One
- King of Glory: Volume Two
- Christmas from Saint Andrew’s Church
- The Lord is my Shepherd: 14 settings by various composers of Psalm 23
The Choir is always looking for new recruits in all sections. Ability to sing in tune, a good ear, a voice that blends, and if a part singer, ability read music are required. Members are a friendly group who take their music seriously but also have fun together.
In 2020 St Andrew’s has established a Junior Choir for Children aged 7-14 which will sing in parish services at regular intervals throughout 2020.
- An invaluable, free, musical education
- Training and tuition provided
- Leadership by former Auckland Boy’s Choir Director, Neil Shroff.
- Admission is by friendly and informal audition
Neil W Shroff MNZM BEd HDipTchg ACP FLCM LTCL
Director of Music